A. Get stuff
1) Get Dosbox Turbo from the Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fishstix.dosbox&hl=tl
2) Get an ISO of the Red Alert Discs (it’s been made freeware as a promo for CncRA3) http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/dos-games/command-and-conquer-red-alert-usa/
3) get ”Red Alert 1.08PE English” patch http://archive.org/details/Red_Alert_Patch
B. Put stuff into device’s external SD card
1) Using my devices’ file manager I made a folder named “dosbox” on the External SD Card ( storage/sdcard1)
2) Extract the 2 ISO’s from the 7z archive. Rename them as RACD1.iso and RACD2.iso. put them into the dosbox folder
3) Put RA108USP.EXE into the dosbox folder
C. Configure Dosbox
1) Run dosbox. go to config-> dosbox settings. configure the following:
-memory size: 32
-sound device: sb blaster pro 2.0
-Audio freq rate: 16000 hz
-audio pre-buffer: 100
mount e: /sdcard
mount c storage/sdcard1/dosbox
*from here I mostly followed the instructions from this site: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1362&letter=C
**I do the iso mounting and install instead of using a straight folder copy so that I don’t go through the hassle of going through seting up audio drivers and IRQ’s, DMA’s and ports; and modifying game files to get it to run
A. Install Red Alert
1. return to the main dosbox screen (the dos prompt) type:
c:> imgmount d storage/sdcard1/dosbox/RACD1.iso -t cdrom
dos should confirm a succesful mount then
c:> d:d:> core=normal
The Red Alert installer should run now. Watch the spiffy graphics (for 1996)
2. From the RA setup, select SoundBlaster Pro/Pro2. Then click on “TEST SOUND”
3. The installer will show a screen to input IRQ, DMA, and Port. leave it be and click “TEST”. The installer would go to the next screen and show a drill boring into the missile head while playing, well, drill sounds. If you hear it, then click “ACCEPT”. if not, make sure your dosbox sound is enabled and configured same as the setup.
4. There will be another prompt to make sure that the soundcard is correct. just press yes. There should be a dude speaking soon after.
5. The install location screen should be up now. Just Click yes, and watch the install.
B. Patch Red Alert
1. You should be back on the dos prompt now. enter:
d:> c:c:> core=dynamic
This will extract files into your dosbox folder (you can delete them afterwards).
2. after the extraction is finished, enter:
Wait for the patch to finish
3. after patching enter
c:> cd westwood
c:\WESTWOOD> cd redalert
If it works or not, time will tell, sooner or later, time will tell. (it should have a blank screen for a minute or so, then you should be watching Einstein get rid of Hitler. Then it’s hear marching, and a dude shouting “die waffen, legt an!”. Then Hell March.)
1. I made a batch file to automate some tasks whenever I wish to run RA. it’s basically a text file that has “.bat” instead of “.txt” as an extension. Mine is “ra.bat” . The contents are:
imgmount d storage/sdcard1/dosbox/RACD1.iso -t cdrom
I’ve put it in my dosbox folder so all I have to do whenever I wish to run RA is type:
2. I set my cycles to 30000 for loading the game, then set it to 8000-15000 once I’m in the battle screen. I start getting noticeable audio lag at around 18000.
3. I’ve set my ram at 32mb, though the dosbox developer suggest running at the lowest requirement for the game (16mb for RA). I have no idea why but the dev says the more emulated ram, the slower it is.
4. set scaling to “ON”, and Scale size to 95%. this allows me to use the “absolute” mouse tracking (the mouse goes where your finger is”) and still be able to scroll
5. I recommend getting “Hacker’s Keyboard” for android. It’s almost a full keyboard on screen.
6. A Path Beyond, England= get a cruiser out ASAP. Park outside enemy base. Profit. Send some more cruisers for faster profit.